Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Final farewell...

I said goodbye to Guatemala yesterday.

I left Xela on Saturday, and with it, two amazing friends. Ruth and Christina were phenomenal travel mates. I couldn't have asked for better compatibility (although their faithful blogging did put me to shame).

I journeyed to Guatemala City by chicken bus, desiring to remain immersed in the culture for as long as possible. As I squeezed in with about 100 Guatemalans, I caught myself smiling. I felt the cool breeze of the countryside, admired the vistas of volcanoes and lakes, and gladly passed crying babies back to their abuelas when asked. As we maneuvered our way through road construction, I let the dust of the Pan-American Highway powder my face, and I considered both its history and the symbolism of its current expansion. I relished the feeling of being able to communicate with the man sharing my seat, realizing how language learning has opened new possibilities of friendship. I will miss those chicken buses, the excitement of taking turns at high speeds and the instant sense of commraderie shared between passengers.

After this (possibly overly-romanticized) ride to Guatemala City, I realized I wasn't very prepared for the urban jungle that awaited me. To make a long story short, I was screwed over by a taxi driver and left in the wrong neighborhood.... during a torrential downpour. I wandered around through the ankle-deep puddles, and eventually happened upon a young couple who instantly invited me into their home. Thank you and thank you, Alejandro and Estefani. I am so grateful for your hospitality and generosity.

And now I am back in the States... With a husband who has been nothing short of amazing this entire time. He encouraged me to go on this trip even when I had my doubts. Sometimes I think he knows me better than I know myself... Cliche, but so true. I come home to find that he has opened our house to our two best friends and their dog, and that we will be living in community for the next few weeks. I come home to a job that is challenging, exciting, and new. I come home to a community of friends and family here in Bend... and I couldn't be more grateful.

1 comment:

Ruth K said...

what a beautiful blog! although I wish you hadn't made that long story short about your adventure in Guatemala city! I guess I'll just have to call you! I'm sad that Bend isn't right next to Santa Monica... definitely miss you!